Thursday, August 27, 2009

If You're Looking for a Potato Chip ...


"If you're looking for a potato chip, you'll be disappointed by anything that isn't a potato chip."

With these wise words my wife encapsulated my torturous attempts to explain why the FoodShouldTasteGood brand Potato and Chive flavored chips were so good on my first tasting, but somehow disappointing on the second. It is a matter of expectations. The bag tells you although it is a "tortilla" chip, it's also a cracker. My first try hooked me. I polished off the sea salty, chive potato chip/crackers in no time. Worse, I regretted only having bought a single bag.

A day or two latter, the same brand was available at Kowalski's, but they only had the Yellow Corn. I gave it a try. Nice and crispy, fresh. It was certainly a lot better than the artificial flavored finger-staining Doritos, but it wasn't as good as my memory of the Potato and Chive. A chip already taking a legendary place in my mind.

Again, another trip to Kowalski's, another try. This time, still no Potato and Chive on their shelves. I thought the Multi-Grain deserved a tasting. Amazing variety of flavors: Flax, sunflower, sesame seeds, oat fiber, brown rice, quinoa, even soy! The flavors come together well too. Still, if you're looking for a potato chip ... This is a healthy cracker, not a potato chip.

Okay. I go to Kowalski's pretty much every day. Third trip and every time the store has had Olive flavored chips, but not Potato and Chive. Bad buyer choices there. I went home with the Sweet Potato just to see. Too sweet. No thanks.

Finally, I made it back to Whole Foods and picked up two bags of the chips of my dreams, took one out and ... it's a cracker. It's a really, really, really good cracker. But it isn't a potato chip. I need to listen to my wife more.

The chips come in the following flavors:
Multigrain
Jalapeno
Olive
Chocolate
The Works!
Sweet Potato
Buffalo
Lime
Potato and Chive
Cinnamon
Yellow Corn

Please let me know if you try the Olive. I like olives, but a chip?

No comments: