Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pick Them Just Before They Fall - Raspberry Vinaigarette


Our two raspberry crops a year bring great excitement. Day after day we cull the latest berries as they turn the perfect shade of scarlet. We wade into the prickly brush, and find those about to fall off. They go on ice cream, the Mini Chef's cheese cakes (graham cracker, cream cheese with berries on top), and just casual snacking. Unfortunately, they also go fast -- to fruit flies. I don't can so our feast quickly turns to a berry drought. Fortunately, I've found a new use for my delicious friends.

Last month I found an unusual middle eastern soup that called for hazelnuts and hazelnut oil. The soup was a hit, but it left me with a bottle of hazelnut oil and I had no idea what else to use it for. Until now. I ran across a vinaigrette that called for hazelnut oil and raspberries. The recipe was too tart for my tastes, but I could see it had potential. I added ginger, a little lemon juice, and sweetened it. I left out the universal store-bought salad dressing ingredient xanthum gum. If I don't know what it is, I feel safe leaving out.

Raspberry Hazelnut Oil Vinaigrette
(about 3/4 cup)

1/2 Cup Fresh Raspberries (well rinsed)
2 Tbs Hazelnut oil
1 Tbs White wine vinegar
1 t Finely minced ginger
1 1/2 t Lemon juice
2 t Honey
1 T Water
dash of salt
dash of onion powder

  1. Mix it up!
Good luck! Let me know how it turns out.

P.S. A word of caution: Don't let flavored oils sit around long. The hazelnut oil isn't the problem the flavorings you add to make the dressing are. Don't make more than what you think you'll use in a day, otherwise you'll be exposing yourself to botulism.

No comments: