Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Food of the Day -- Toasted Sesame Oil

A co-worker told me that her BMW was the best thing to come out of her failed marriage. I didn't get that lucky. Toasted sesame oil was about all I got out of my first marriage. And a couple old cats.

When I was in my twenties, I ate a lot of cheap ramen, the five-for-a-buck gutfill kind. I wasn't sophisticated enough to get beyond the foil MSG packets, though my Vietnamese college roommate got me to try duck sauce (no thanks). When I met my first wife, she introduced me to the magic condiment - toasted sesame oil. A few drops of toasted sesame oil, soy sauce and a bead of Vietnamese chili sauce and my ramen evolved into a respectable dish. The unopened MSG packs piled up. You never know when you might need MSG.

I don't eat much ramen these days. But I always have toasted sesame oil around. I buy large bottles of sesame oil for Korean dishes like bulgogi or the spinach side dish as described by Maangchi. But I never need more than a few drops at a time of toasted sesame oil. The rich, nutty almost oaky smell fixes bland fried rice or other leftover-motivated dishes.

I started playing with Microsoft Movie Maker today. I thought a little demonstration of the easiest thing in the world to cook (with a few drops of the magic ingredient) was in order. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bruce! This reminds me of my college staple, what I called "fortified ramen." I'd blanch strange vegetables and tofu in the noodle water and eat them seasoned with the seasoning packet, some soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil. My favorite was okra. I think I ate more okra than everyone west of the Mississippi put together.

beej said...

I love your blog. This was a really cute little film, too.

I had to say I was baffled by the almost complete silence throughout except for (insert cute kid chuckle here), but that's only because I'm from a family of magpies.

Our version of the same movie might be completely unwatch-able, due to all the jokes, side comments, and interruptions, resulting in complete chaos.

beej said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.