Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Do you know what this is? Would you eat it?


I was looking at the spices in a Somali grocery store in Minneapolis, but didn't know what this stuff was. No labels on any spices. I knew some (ground fenugreek, berbera, oregano), but this I couldn't figure out by sight or smell.

The clerk and the owner had a long conversation in Somali, then told me they didn't know either. But they could tell me it was good for me. "Put it in your soup it makes it taste good."

Everyone in the store broke off a little bit and ate some. It had heat, not like a pepper, but more like cinammon. It lasted a long time, but it didn't have much flavor. Just mouth sensation.

The picture is poor, I know, but the bits were like little cones. Does anyone have any idea what this is?

No comments: